Monday, March 28, 2011

I Will Never Understand People


   At the beginning of this month, Rebecca Black's Friday music video (above) went viral. On the most part it received negative reviews, yet it was still popular. I see people posting this video to their Facebook profiles, yet they write how awful the song is and how it makes them want to vomit. What is ironic is that since this video, Rebecca Black has made it big. She appeared on MTV for an interview and Jay Leno. If the song is so bad,  then why give her so much publicity, or even make a parodies of her song?
                                  
                                              

   After all "imitation is the greatest form of flattery". I am saying this as a person who is addicted to spoofs and even tends memorize and sing them on a daily basis. I believe that parodies are an artistic form of pointing out different ideas and even making fun of songs. Sometimes the parodies are even better than the originals but the second video, which is the parody, is in my opinion atrocious. I found the video above on my Facebook updates one friend posted it on another mutual friend's profile. I thought that this parody was even worse than the original song. My theory on why this parody is so bad is because the original song was so horrible that is did not form the strong foundation that is needed to form a decent parody.

  Think of all the energy wasted making this parody, that energy could have been used to spoof the incompetence of the Japanese Government with the accident at Fukishima Nuclear Power Plant after the tsunami, or even Gaddafi's refusal to back down after the Libyans revolt. I think that those topics would have made excellent parodies. I could imagine a Gadaffi, ranting and raving and dodging bullets every second, as Obama and the U.N. offer him millions and billions of dollars to just back down and check himself into Bellvue for a month. He would then refuse the offer and go on a rampage, until Sarah Palin shoots him because she thought that he was a caribou. (The story would work just as well with Dick Cheney shooting him by "accident".)

  Now back to the publicity part. What I do not get about people is the fact that they focus on thing that they hate. A few examples I have are, Charlie Sheen, the Westboro Baptist Church, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, etc .Human behavior always baffles me, especially when it comes to how they react to different things. Whether it is the media or the average person I will never understand why they are interested in the Charlie Sheens and Lindsay Lohans since their behaviors in my opinion is static, failing drug tests breaking the law and acting like lunatics, how predictable. Why is the media actually interested in something that is so constant. Charlie Sheen will always be crazy, same with Lindsay Lohan and, the Westboro Baptist Church will always tell people that they are going to hell and protest funerals. We seem to dislike these things yet we give them attention. What I find really annoying is that I cannot turn on the news, or, open a newspaper without hearing something about the three things that I have mentioned before. Everybody seems sick and tired of them yet everyone seems to talk about them.

   As for the Westboro Baptist Church the only reason that I interested in it was because, as a person interest in American Government, I was curious about whether Snyder v. Phelps would get a writ of certiorari. The case did go to the U.S. Supreme court, which decided in the favor of the Phelps party, which means that they are allowed to protest at funerals. Now that we have established taht established we should simply ignore them. After all if we get angry and counter-protest, then we are playing into their game. They want attention, if we do not give them attention then things will not seem as bad as they are, and they will just blend back into nothingness. Maybe we will even realize how few people are protesting from the Westboro Baptist Church. I find it ironic that a few noise makers can incite hundreds of counter protesters.

  The Rebecca Black video was abysmal at best. However if we keep giving her attention and making parodies of her that will just increase her notoriety. She has every right to record a video, but if you think it is so bad then, do not watch the video and then share it with your friends. Attention gives positive reinforcement,  if we ignore her maybe the record companies and/Rebecca Black will get the message. After all as the saying goes "any publicity is good publicity". We are giving these celebrities and Rebecca Black exactly what they want and, we do not realize it.

PS. I am only posting this not out of my interest in Rebecca Black's video, but out of my frustration with people who keep giving misbehavior and mediocrity undeserved attention. The reason that I have mentioned the public figures like Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, Westboro Baptist Church and, Paris Hilton, is not because I care about them or even intentionally follow their lives. It is because their lives are all you hear about. We know that they will get into trouble, spew invectives and do erratic things, so why are we interested in something so predictable?

No comments:

Post a Comment