Sunday, March 13, 2011

Modesty and Orthodox Judaism


   In my previous post I discussed how modesty has taken over Orthodox Judaism. When my friend saw my post, she sent me this video. The woman in this video talks about how modesty is the most important thing. I guess that the woman in the video thinks that being modest is more important than being a decent and ethical person. She also does not seem religious, when it comes to not being materialistic and close to God. All she talks about is what she buys, eats, and drinks. I do not consider myself a spiritual person. However, she seems to be more materialistic than I am. This video makes me wonder even more whether modesty really makes a person religious.

   Although this video is fictitious and is a satire, you cannot deny that there is an element of truth to it. This video was so similar to the experiences that I have had with many people, that I could not tell that it was fake. I did not know it was fake until my sister told me it was. The reason for this mistake could be 1- I cannot tell that something is a joke unless I am told it is, or 2- as I said before this video is so realistic that I could not tell that it was a joke. You can be the judge for yourself, but personally I think that reason number two is the one that applies most.

No comments:

Post a Comment